With the long weekend up ahead I know that many people are probably stuffing their trunks full and heading out on the open road to find that perfect (or let’s be honest…available) campsite. I find packing to go camping a bit of a daunting experience, especially because if you forget something, it is not as easy to buy it as it would be if you were heading to a city. Being able to pack lightly but still have everything you need is a tricky thing. I’ve decided to compile a list of little tips and tricks I do when I am camping as well as couple things you should definitely do while your out in the wild!
- Pack newspaper!!!! There is nothing worse then starting a fire without newspaper.
- Bring blankets as well as sleeping bags. When it’s night it gets cold, and if I am sleeping on the ground I know I won’t get a minute of shut eye if I am freezing. I always pack blankets and use a sleeping bag under me as well as blankets over me!
- If you are like me and do get cold, you can always bring a hot water bottle and fill it up the night before. Or just use a leak proof thermal mug instead.
- If you don’t have an air mattress, bring a yoga mat to sleep on. It may be thin, but it does help you from feeling all the tiny rocks that are hiding under your tent.
- Put a tarp under your tent. It will protect your tarp from getting moisture through the bottom. Honestly you can never have too many tarps!
- Create a camping menu before you go. Try to eat food that doesn’t require refrigeration. If you need milk opt for a tetrapack of almond milk instead.
- Instead of buying a bag of ice for your cooler, freeze a 2L of water and then you can use it as drinking water when it thaws.
- Have a stash of games set aside in case it rains. Whether it be board games, charades, the newlywed game, it’s always a good way to pass the time.
- If you are into hiking or seeing the sights, go to bed earlier and start your day early. This will allow you to miss the heavy crowds.
- Instead of your typical s’more treat, try having a s’moreo (use an oreo instead), or a banana boat (banana stuffed with chocolate and marshmallows). Thank me later 😉
If you have any tips let me know! Enjoy your camping trips friends and bring your bear spray!