We’ve been in our new home for 2 weeks now and things are finally starting to take some sort of shape. There is still a LOT I want to do with the space but we have already done a few things which is making everything feel a bit more home-y. I’ve been on pinterest here and there looking for ideas. I wanted some shelving in the living room that wasn’t too bulky and had some elegance to it. We ended up buying these shelves from Ikea (here is one, here is two). When we got them we spray painted them with Krylon Metallic spray paint to give them a bronze/rose gold kind of look.
I ordered some marble contact paper and then went to town! Here is the DIY we did for our shelves. I am super happy with how it all looks! Let me know what you think 🙂
- I recommend spray painting the shelves when they are apart. Careful to make sure they are completely dry before rotating them to prevent peeling.
- Once you have set up the shelves, decided which ones you want to marble. (I chose the bottom and top of the smaller shelf, and the bottom and third of the tall one)
- Lay out the shelf and cut the contact paper with room to fold over each end.
- Slowly peel the top of the contact paper and lay it (with room to fold over side) gently on the end of one side of the shelf. Slowly peel pack the paper all the while using a sponge to smooth it down and release all the air bubbles.
- Once it is all on the top of the shelf, flip over and fold each end in, cutting of the extra length on each side. Smooth this out with a sponge as well.
- After all shelves are done place them back on the shelving unit and voila!
I love this! It was super easy and looks super classy!