I love a good cup of hot chocolate. Ever since I had to give up coffee (very sad) I have been treating myself to hot chocolate. But you can’t have a real hot chocolate without marshmallows on top, right? I decided to make some peppermint marshmallows and oooh my goodness these are tasty! Be weary, they are VERY sticky to make so prepare for a clean-up (if you use hot water it’s not so bad), but so worth it! Also these are perfect for Valentine’s day if you wanna cozy up with a nice cup of hot chocolate.
What You Need:
1 cup of ice cold water
3 packs of gelatin
1 1/2 cups of sugar
1 cup of corn syrup
1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
1 tsp of peppermint extract
red food colouring
1/3 cup powdered sugar
heart cookie cutter (mine is from dollarama)
What To Do:
1. Grease a square dish with oil. Sprinkle with powdered sugar to coat the whole dish.
2. In your kitchen mixer, pour the gelatin packets in and then add 1/2 cup of water over top. Let it sit.
3. In a small saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, and 1/2 cup of water and stir on medium heat until dissolved. Bring up the heat to high and stir consistently until it reaches 240 degrees Fahrenheit. This will take a while so just be patient 🙂
4. Once it has reached the temperature, turn on your kitchen mixer on low. Slowly add the dissolved mixture and increase speed to high and mix for 5-7 minutes until mixture is white and fluffy.
5. Pour mixture into dish and spread (I recommend wetting a knife to do this). Add in a bit of food colouring and mix around with knife, creating swirls.
6. Add remaining mixture over top, and coat with the remaining powdered sugar.
7. Cover and let sit for 4 hours.
8. Cut using cookie cutter. Add more powdered sugar if needed to prevent sticking.
9. Store in airtight container and voila!
These turned out so good, I couldn’t be more happy! Eat in moderation though if you know what’s good for ya 😉 Enjoy!